Redesigning hexen vinduer
This months website resigning is hexen vinduer owned by Dyrby Paulsen. Back in 2002 they got a new website mainly so that they could post various company news on the front page, and people could visit their website and see some of their products like vinduer online. It was a website coded in a CMS system called Simpel CMS, which covered the basic part, you could add/edit posts, upload images, and there was even a product catalog included. Like many other CMS systems from around year 2000 it wasn’t the easiest to work with, especially if you needed to add other types of media beside images or special texts. It got infected with malware about twice a year due to lack of security updates and the design on the website was startet to look a bit old school. So after talking to them, we decided to do a full redesign so that they could show their products vinduer in a better way, and also got a new cms system, that would be a little easier to work with.
They had a few requests which basically came down to.
1) An easy to use CMS system, that didn’t require a lot of training to use.
2) A modern design that was easy for the search engines to index and easy for the customers to navigate around in.
3) Speed was an issue, so they needed some kind of backend caching too
4) A calender where they could add importent dates and events.
5) A product gallery (without prices or shopping carts, so not a full blown webshop)
6) A simple contact formular with captcha to prevent spam, and if possible with a google map.
We showed them two different choices that would support all their needs – Joomla and WordPress CMS, both good and free systems that would fit their needs just fine. After trying out the two systems, they settled on WordPress due to a greater amount of free plugins, and and a more userfriendly CMS system.
A month later we analysed the data, and found that the amount of visitors haven’t increased. But the bounce ratio had improved and it did look like people had an easier time, finding the information they where looking for. Based on the number of contacts related to products like beton gulve and vinduer, it did look like more of the visitors became costumers, but one month isn’t enough time to verify that completely.